fivepoint
Mar 4, 10:57 AM
Collective bargaining is a legislative privilege granted by friendly law makers in some localities which can be quickly and abruptly eliminated (as you've all just observed.)
How? Without the union, bad teachers would presumably be fired, but how would this raise wages directly or indirectly?
There are a million ways to increase the wages of good teachers. Make the system operate like any good business where the quality employees get promoted and the worthless employees get fired to make room for new ones. Look at the system that was attempted in D.C. which would have allowed teachers to OPT IN to a system which would measure them based on performance for the opportunity to get double the salary, or stay in their current situation. The union (even though there was no down-side) wouldn't even vote on the proposal so that they could maintain the status quo and prevent management from making changes to improve the school system. Who loses out in the end? Students and taxpayers.
Firing incompetent teachers sounds like a great idea, but it doesn't require unions to be disbanded to achieve. The British teachers unions aren't that strong, and still we have huge problems getting rid of poor teachers.
Jail time for strikers is bizarre and totally unacceptable.
Additionally there is no way you can claim that it is a "individual liberty" position to hold to be for jailing strikers.
Unfortunately, it does.
I think public unions should not exist, so there should be no concern of fines or jail time for striking public-sector unions.
I'm sorry, but I just have to smile at some of this. It manages to be self-contradictory and over the top, all in just nine words. I could almost see you waving your pom-pons while you wrote it.
Sorry, but you guys are self-destructing, and while it's painful to watch what you're doing to the economy and to good, hard-working people, at least we're seeing you implode in ways far greater than we'd ever dreamed. Keep watching those polls. You're doing everything you can to help the Democrats in 2012.
Oh, and please stop getting tea stains all over my flag.
Keep talking Veil, 2010 was just the 'coming attractions.'
Ahh, but if it is OK for the Republican Party to "sweep the states clean" you better keep your mouth shut when their actions here result in Democratic majorities and we sweep collective bargaining into a national right and make collective bargaining a far easier thing to obtain and make it a criminal act for any business or business owner to interfer with employees rights to organize unions. You're using your "friendly lawmakers" to launch a sneak attack on unions. Don't be surprised when this bites you in the butt.
(edit) In case anyone thinks I have said anything mean about FP's wife, keep in mind the only thing I know about her is that she's a teacher in a union.
Just proves you know nothing about my wife. Proudly, she's not in the union.
BTW, public employees do not have the RIGHT to unionize. As stated before, it was made temporarily legal by union-friendly legislators. This gift can be taken away at any time. It's not a right. I'm sorry you don't realize this FACT.
So why is your wife part of the Union? Why doesn't she listen to your wise ideas and go make more money in a private school? If she's really a good teacher then she should be able to according to your logic.
She isn't. In addition to teaching at a public school, she also teaches at several fine private graduate level universities. Also, she's making tremendous progress on several entrepreneurial ventures as well. She's the type of person any organization would be incredibly lucky to have... smart, hard working and passionate. She loves teaching, but unfortunately to leave your career exclusively up to the public school system and the union atmosphere would mean that even after 20 years of incredibly hard work you'd still be getting paid as the horrible lazy teacher next door who'd only similarity to you is the fact that they've been there for the same 20 years. What a joke. That's why real professionals, talented individuals with a ton to offer, rarely stay exclusively in teaching for their entire career. There's no future in it. The unions have caused this... their undying focus on 'fairness', their unwillingness to allow the firing of bad teachers, and and their focus on compensation based on longevity are all working together to kill our school systems, that much is certain.
How? Without the union, bad teachers would presumably be fired, but how would this raise wages directly or indirectly?
There are a million ways to increase the wages of good teachers. Make the system operate like any good business where the quality employees get promoted and the worthless employees get fired to make room for new ones. Look at the system that was attempted in D.C. which would have allowed teachers to OPT IN to a system which would measure them based on performance for the opportunity to get double the salary, or stay in their current situation. The union (even though there was no down-side) wouldn't even vote on the proposal so that they could maintain the status quo and prevent management from making changes to improve the school system. Who loses out in the end? Students and taxpayers.
Firing incompetent teachers sounds like a great idea, but it doesn't require unions to be disbanded to achieve. The British teachers unions aren't that strong, and still we have huge problems getting rid of poor teachers.
Jail time for strikers is bizarre and totally unacceptable.
Additionally there is no way you can claim that it is a "individual liberty" position to hold to be for jailing strikers.
Unfortunately, it does.
I think public unions should not exist, so there should be no concern of fines or jail time for striking public-sector unions.
I'm sorry, but I just have to smile at some of this. It manages to be self-contradictory and over the top, all in just nine words. I could almost see you waving your pom-pons while you wrote it.
Sorry, but you guys are self-destructing, and while it's painful to watch what you're doing to the economy and to good, hard-working people, at least we're seeing you implode in ways far greater than we'd ever dreamed. Keep watching those polls. You're doing everything you can to help the Democrats in 2012.
Oh, and please stop getting tea stains all over my flag.
Keep talking Veil, 2010 was just the 'coming attractions.'
Ahh, but if it is OK for the Republican Party to "sweep the states clean" you better keep your mouth shut when their actions here result in Democratic majorities and we sweep collective bargaining into a national right and make collective bargaining a far easier thing to obtain and make it a criminal act for any business or business owner to interfer with employees rights to organize unions. You're using your "friendly lawmakers" to launch a sneak attack on unions. Don't be surprised when this bites you in the butt.
(edit) In case anyone thinks I have said anything mean about FP's wife, keep in mind the only thing I know about her is that she's a teacher in a union.
Just proves you know nothing about my wife. Proudly, she's not in the union.
BTW, public employees do not have the RIGHT to unionize. As stated before, it was made temporarily legal by union-friendly legislators. This gift can be taken away at any time. It's not a right. I'm sorry you don't realize this FACT.
So why is your wife part of the Union? Why doesn't she listen to your wise ideas and go make more money in a private school? If she's really a good teacher then she should be able to according to your logic.
She isn't. In addition to teaching at a public school, she also teaches at several fine private graduate level universities. Also, she's making tremendous progress on several entrepreneurial ventures as well. She's the type of person any organization would be incredibly lucky to have... smart, hard working and passionate. She loves teaching, but unfortunately to leave your career exclusively up to the public school system and the union atmosphere would mean that even after 20 years of incredibly hard work you'd still be getting paid as the horrible lazy teacher next door who'd only similarity to you is the fact that they've been there for the same 20 years. What a joke. That's why real professionals, talented individuals with a ton to offer, rarely stay exclusively in teaching for their entire career. There's no future in it. The unions have caused this... their undying focus on 'fairness', their unwillingness to allow the firing of bad teachers, and and their focus on compensation based on longevity are all working together to kill our school systems, that much is certain.
demallien
Oct 6, 07:55 AM
How so. Please elaborate?
The decryption keys are everywhere and not top secret. Each iPod and iTunes has access to them. If you can get your hands on them you have something like hymn or FairKeys. Where does one get the encryption key?
EDIT: BTW I'm quite serious, if I got it wrong please help me understand where you're coming from.
B
No, you are WAAAAY off base.
The encryption key is public, the decryption key is private. The decryption key used in iTunes is hidden away to the very best of Apple's ability from the eyes of prying hackers. (at least, one assumes so - it's illegal for me to even try and confirm that.... thanks DCMA)
If I want to exchange confidential information with someone, I am going to need their public key. They can send this to me unencrypted (normally as part of a "certificate" to prove who they are at the same time...). I then use this key to encrypt the secret message, and send the encrypted message to them. They in turn can decrypt this message by using their private key....
Normally, the messages exchanged in this manner are actually symmetric keys (keys that can be used for encrypting and decypting a message). This is certainly the case for iTunes, which uses AES, a symmetric encryption system to encode it's media files.
Contrary to what you seem to think, the keys in iTunes are not freely available. Both the private assymetric key, used to communicate with the server (to obtain the symmetric keys) and all of the symmetric keys, used to decrypt the actual media files, are hidden inside iTunes. Try looking for them on your harddrive, I promise you that you won't find them (unless you are an expert pirate with a few months of your time where you have nothing better to do....)
BTW, that article that you linked earlier about FairPlay has internal consistency problems. If what it says about retrieving keys from the Apple Store is correct, then what it says about VLC can NOT be correct. one or the other is wrong. My money is on the info about retreiving keys is wrong. I do this stuff for a living, and it's certainly NOT how I would do it....
The decryption keys are everywhere and not top secret. Each iPod and iTunes has access to them. If you can get your hands on them you have something like hymn or FairKeys. Where does one get the encryption key?
EDIT: BTW I'm quite serious, if I got it wrong please help me understand where you're coming from.
B
No, you are WAAAAY off base.
The encryption key is public, the decryption key is private. The decryption key used in iTunes is hidden away to the very best of Apple's ability from the eyes of prying hackers. (at least, one assumes so - it's illegal for me to even try and confirm that.... thanks DCMA)
If I want to exchange confidential information with someone, I am going to need their public key. They can send this to me unencrypted (normally as part of a "certificate" to prove who they are at the same time...). I then use this key to encrypt the secret message, and send the encrypted message to them. They in turn can decrypt this message by using their private key....
Normally, the messages exchanged in this manner are actually symmetric keys (keys that can be used for encrypting and decypting a message). This is certainly the case for iTunes, which uses AES, a symmetric encryption system to encode it's media files.
Contrary to what you seem to think, the keys in iTunes are not freely available. Both the private assymetric key, used to communicate with the server (to obtain the symmetric keys) and all of the symmetric keys, used to decrypt the actual media files, are hidden inside iTunes. Try looking for them on your harddrive, I promise you that you won't find them (unless you are an expert pirate with a few months of your time where you have nothing better to do....)
BTW, that article that you linked earlier about FairPlay has internal consistency problems. If what it says about retrieving keys from the Apple Store is correct, then what it says about VLC can NOT be correct. one or the other is wrong. My money is on the info about retreiving keys is wrong. I do this stuff for a living, and it's certainly NOT how I would do it....
Cougarcat
Apr 29, 05:22 PM
Preferred the iOS style scroll bars. Having the thin bar inside the right side gutter looks very odd.
I agree Somehow I don't think it'll look like that in the final version, as the gutter appearance is clearly designed for the older aqua scrollbar.
I agree Somehow I don't think it'll look like that in the final version, as the gutter appearance is clearly designed for the older aqua scrollbar.

LightSpeed1
Apr 13, 06:04 PM
thought about getting those but im getting the samson 3i's instead. lmk how they areAfter listening to them for a couple hours now, I can say that that they the clarity is absolutely beautiful. If you like lots of bass I wouldn't recommend these speakers, but it is good. For what they cost I think that you definitely get your money's worth.
anonymous guy
May 2, 11:38 AM
will the CDMA iPhone finally get an upgrade on time, or are they forever stuck in 4.2 fragmentation limbo?
leekohler
May 5, 11:30 AM
There is nothing wrong with a doctor talking to anyone about guns, as they can be a risk to health. That's like telling my doctor he can't tell me to use condoms if he asks if I'm gay, or that he can't tell me to do certain stretches before I play hockey, if he asks me about that. This proposed law is a load of crap. Asking people about activities they engage in are key to treating a patient.

mdntcallr
Aug 7, 03:05 PM
Sounds like a good idea. Clear out inventory. make some sales. As LCD prices come down, so should apple's list price.
But I am not into these models, I want a HDTV compliant model with speakers.
so i can watch HDTV via HDMI, ie plug in a blu-ray movie or watch HD directv.
give us HDMI with 1080P ability Apple.
with nice speakers, so we can have all in one!!
basically i want a tv/monitor
But I am not into these models, I want a HDTV compliant model with speakers.
so i can watch HDTV via HDMI, ie plug in a blu-ray movie or watch HD directv.
give us HDMI with 1080P ability Apple.
with nice speakers, so we can have all in one!!
basically i want a tv/monitor
.jpg)
jbg232
Mar 17, 10:53 AM
The poor kid simply hit the "cash" button before typing in the total. I used to work at BB (now an attorney), so I feel sorry for the kid. The OP committed retail theft by knowingly leaving the store with a product he didn't pay full value for (differentiated from receiving a computer by mistake because of the intent requirement). If the kid is not fired he will surely be written up and never able to move upward in the company to get things like health insurance and other benefits. What's worse is that this is the time of the year when BB takes on a lot of new hires.
It's sad to see people surprised at "morality police" coming out against the OP. He committed a freaking crime! Worse, he thinks he deserved to do it because he was a good boy and didnt steal the lady's iPhone earlier...
I doubt it will do any good, but I'll do my part and forward this thread to some friends at BB corporate. I'm sure they could track down the receipt and let the kids gm know why his register was off by that amount and that it wasn't internal theft. They'd also give the GM OP's info from his rz card, which could be amusing... :)
What is the law (or for these purposes, a crime) and what is ethically "right" or "good" are not always the same thing.
Acting morally is not necessarily equal to acting legally.
It's sad to see people surprised at "morality police" coming out against the OP. He committed a freaking crime! Worse, he thinks he deserved to do it because he was a good boy and didnt steal the lady's iPhone earlier...
I doubt it will do any good, but I'll do my part and forward this thread to some friends at BB corporate. I'm sure they could track down the receipt and let the kids gm know why his register was off by that amount and that it wasn't internal theft. They'd also give the GM OP's info from his rz card, which could be amusing... :)
What is the law (or for these purposes, a crime) and what is ethically "right" or "good" are not always the same thing.
Acting morally is not necessarily equal to acting legally.
twoodcc
May 8, 11:33 AM
yeah, -smp 12 but one core now shows minimal use. Before I restarted it it showed 4 cores with minimal usage... :confused: I'm going to try tossing the config file and see what happens. And of course it loses the wu each time I shut folding down.
so do you have it up and folding now?
i've been working on mine this morning. i gave up on 4.0 ghz and it's now running at 3.7 ghz. i think this is stable, but i guess we'll see
so do you have it up and folding now?
i've been working on mine this morning. i gave up on 4.0 ghz and it's now running at 3.7 ghz. i think this is stable, but i guess we'll see
SeattleMoose
Apr 30, 10:43 AM
Please restore the forums to their "pre-improvement" state.
Thanx :D
Thanx :D
skeep5
Oct 6, 11:03 AM
What kind of a world do we live in, where a man, Dressed up as a bat, gets all my press? This town needs an enema!
chrono1081
Apr 23, 04:18 PM
I love how most of the people in this thread bashing LTD, calling him a fanboy for not giving MS credit where it is due are the same people in every other thread who do nothing but bash Apple and never give Apple credit where its due.
You all know who you are...and its funny you call someone else a fanboy.
You all know who you are...and its funny you call someone else a fanboy.
twoodcc
Aug 11, 09:03 PM
i prefer the number 9 to be honest :p 9ghz! phoar!
what temps are they running at? had you considered water cooling?
i was running around 90C. i've now taken it down to just 3.9 ghz. it's still up close to around 85C. i really don't feel like messing with water cooling on this system. maybe next time
what temps are they running at? had you considered water cooling?
i was running around 90C. i've now taken it down to just 3.9 ghz. it's still up close to around 85C. i really don't feel like messing with water cooling on this system. maybe next time
toughboy
Oct 10, 07:07 PM
I'm sorry, but with the release of the "true video" iPod "imminent" for months now, I'm just not going to pay any attention whatsoever until I have one in my hands.
Just like the iPhone, PowerBook G5 (and more recently, Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro, although that release hasn't been "imminent" often enough yet,) etc.
I'm starting to doubt page 1 rumors just as much as I doubt Page 2 rumors. Unless you (MacRumors, not the 'source' website of the rumor,) have credible, reliable, direct sources, it belongs on Page 2. If you don't have direct sources, (as rumors on other websites would be,) it does not belong on page 1. By your own standards.
Just because it's getting a lot of talk, and Engadget claims their sources are good, is no reason to upgrade it to page 1 status. (Heck, the iWalk got a lot of talk back in the day, and SpyMac claimed their sources were good. That didn't make it true.)
+1
Just like the iPhone, PowerBook G5 (and more recently, Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro, although that release hasn't been "imminent" often enough yet,) etc.
I'm starting to doubt page 1 rumors just as much as I doubt Page 2 rumors. Unless you (MacRumors, not the 'source' website of the rumor,) have credible, reliable, direct sources, it belongs on Page 2. If you don't have direct sources, (as rumors on other websites would be,) it does not belong on page 1. By your own standards.
Just because it's getting a lot of talk, and Engadget claims their sources are good, is no reason to upgrade it to page 1 status. (Heck, the iWalk got a lot of talk back in the day, and SpyMac claimed their sources were good. That didn't make it true.)
+1
skunk
Apr 21, 11:38 AM
The goal of post votes is to identify the comments that others most agree with or appreciate seeing.Do we need to know this? At least disable it for PRSI.
It is against forum rules to simply reply "+1": what on earth is the difference between that and clicking a button to say "+1"?
It is against forum rules to simply reply "+1": what on earth is the difference between that and clicking a button to say "+1"?
drayon
Apr 29, 08:11 PM
Dredful and confusing. What is on an what is off is not obvious. I prefer Apple to just leave the UI as it is in Snow Leopard. I hate this white only colourless drab look. Bring back Blue widgets. Stop wasting time by obsessing over trying to make everything look like an iPhone. I don't want an Apple Display, an Macbook Pro etc to look like an iPhone with the glass mirror front. I certainly don't want OS X to look like iOS.
Apple, focus on more important things such as a decent FileSystem (ZFS), Queued file copies, more robust and threaded I/O API's, Resolution Independence etc.
Apple, focus on more important things such as a decent FileSystem (ZFS), Queued file copies, more robust and threaded I/O API's, Resolution Independence etc.
mkrishnan
Sep 7, 09:37 PM
Yeah I've got a copy. Actually, I downloaded it, but I was under the impression that the album itself wasn't out yet.
You mean from iTMS? Did you get it pre-order? Wasn't there some promise of some freebie remix or something with the pre-order? I probably should've. :(
Ahhhh, *sigh* I think I will listen to Family Business from Dropout while I wait. :)
You mean from iTMS? Did you get it pre-order? Wasn't there some promise of some freebie remix or something with the pre-order? I probably should've. :(
Ahhhh, *sigh* I think I will listen to Family Business from Dropout while I wait. :)
blahblah100
Apr 8, 04:57 PM
As I said above, they will probably use it to sell something they can't move. My guess, "Purchase a Windows 7 phone, we will let you buy an iPad 2."
"Purchase an xServe..." oh wait...
"Purchase an xServe..." oh wait...
DavidLeblond
Sep 8, 11:30 AM
Kanye West is supposed to be the SMARTEST man in the music bus. Seems to me to be the most ignorant.
If you don't like Bush fine, but he HAD NO RIGHT to say what he said especially in the venue that he was in.
His ignorant comments cost donated money to the victims plan and simple.
How dare Kanye West be pissed off at something that EVERYONE should be pissed off at. He simply said aloud what everyone else was thinking. I say props to him, and I don't even like rap.
If you don't like Bush fine, but he HAD NO RIGHT to say what he said especially in the venue that he was in.
His ignorant comments cost donated money to the victims plan and simple.
How dare Kanye West be pissed off at something that EVERYONE should be pissed off at. He simply said aloud what everyone else was thinking. I say props to him, and I don't even like rap.
chuckles:)
Oct 10, 09:39 PM
yawn.
saxamoophone
Apr 29, 04:41 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)
So will ipad3 or ipad4 will be running MAC OS X??
So will ipad3 or ipad4 will be running MAC OS X??
wilsonlaidlaw
Sep 29, 09:27 AM
Having seen pictures of the Jackling house, in my personal opinion, this is barely an architectural gem worth preserving, being a rather ugly house. I think the spanish colonial revival of the 1920's was a blind alley. I do however hope that if SJ does not want it, the famous pipe organ in the house is not scrapped and will either be donated to an organ preservation society or sold to someone who will restore and use it.
Wilson
Wilson
maflynn
Apr 19, 06:58 AM
Heh, I've seen that video it's classic. However, if you were to say fair-is-fair, MS publicly announced their road map for what became Vista before XP even came out. Apple KNEW what MS was working on. No body knew what Apple was working on.
The problem was that all that MS publicly announced for "Longhorn" never really made it into "vista" So while everyone knew what MS was working on, MS was unable to deliver.
The problem was that all that MS publicly announced for "Longhorn" never really made it into "vista" So while everyone knew what MS was working on, MS was unable to deliver.
thatisme
Jul 21, 09:36 AM
I find it great that they are doing this... in so far as it illustrates what their testing shows, that the iPhone 4 is not the only phone to have "antenna issues"
I don't see Apple as using this in an advertising campaign, just that they are backing up their claims and research with true visual evidence
If they were acting immaturely, they would have just left it at "well, everyone else has the problems like this too" and not offer up any data, evidence, etc to back up their claim.... It is very similar to a vocal majority on this site saying "Apple's antenna design is defective" and "All iPhone 4's are defective" as well as "Every iPhone 4 loses reception just by touching it"... no hard data showing that ALL phones are defective or that the antenna doesn't work...
I don't see Apple as using this in an advertising campaign, just that they are backing up their claims and research with true visual evidence
If they were acting immaturely, they would have just left it at "well, everyone else has the problems like this too" and not offer up any data, evidence, etc to back up their claim.... It is very similar to a vocal majority on this site saying "Apple's antenna design is defective" and "All iPhone 4's are defective" as well as "Every iPhone 4 loses reception just by touching it"... no hard data showing that ALL phones are defective or that the antenna doesn't work...
No comments:
Post a Comment